Monday, April 27, 2009

What a caper!

I downloaded a free cape pattern from fitzpatterns.com a while back and have been intending on making it for a while. After a few false starts, i.e the printer stopping working part the way through printing (faulty cartridges!), then the pages that were printed from the work printer didn't match up with the ones printed at home... I finally started on the weekend.

After a 3rd attempt at piecing the pattern together (I had made 2 previous attempts, both ended up screwed up and with me at the point of giving up) , I finally decided it'd just have to do...yes the lines weren't matching up completely but isn't it close enough? Sewing is not an exact science and a lot of the time, yes, she'll be right!

Well, Spotlight, you need to train your assistants how to cut a straight line...when I folded the fabric and placed my piattern pieces on the fabric as instructed on the pattern, I found that I was short due to poor cutting! So after a LOT of umming, ahhing and swearing, I decided the facing would just have to be done in another fabric...she'll be right!

Digging through my remnants and bits and pieces I found some large scale Birch in Fuschia by Miss Lara which may not be exactly right buttttt....so I promptly cut it up, accidentally cutting one of the facings the wrong way, wasting more of my precious fabric...bahhh!

The pattern said it would take 2 hours...hmmm...due to my lack of sewing skills, the not very thorough instructions and unpicking bits, I think I'm up to about 12 hours!

Last night I had a go at thinking about lining the inside which I eventually dismissed as I just could not work out how to do it! I ended up sewing the hem and trying to work out why i have flappy bits around the neck...which i just intend on hand sewing down so they don't flap...next step is a button and a good pressing and then it should be done! Will be lovely for sitting at my work desk. I have an air con vent above me that keeps me at a sub-zero temperature most of the day.
Macchiato brown Tonia cape with Birch fuschia facings
- Sorry about the crap photo, taken at 11:30 last night in my bathroom...not the best lighting situation

No comments:

Post a Comment