Sunday, May 17, 2009

Type nerd = YES!

Way too slow with this blogging...Both Karin and Khan (check his blog for videos of the Primitive Calculators who played a set for the benefit) got in first, but as the instigator of this weekends little jaunt I need to put my 2 cents worth in as well...

I LOVE TYPE!

I love letters, I love the shapes they make, I love the shapes words make, serifs and sans- serifs, the variations in font families and how the application of a particular font can change the tone of a design completely...and yes, I am one of ttthhhose who HAS to comment on the use/misuse of a particular font on the side of a building or on a sign or poster and have been known to walk around streets naming/guessing fonts as I see them. N - E - R - D! 

So when I heard about the Melbourne Museum of Printing having an open day as they were struggling to stay open, I was like huh? I've never heard of this place but it makes me ultra excited...

And oh boy was I like a kid in a candy shop...so many beautiful old things to see... great big old typewriters, printing machines of various eras and racks and racks of letters all sorted into their font type...Many familiar names Rockwell, Gill Sans, Univers, Times, Bodoni plus all in different weights (bold, condensed etc).

So enough of the boringness...it was totally packed and I intend on going back there to have a class or maybe even volunteer my time as all the big old machinery intrigues me so much and I'd love to help out with retaining such an important part of the history of print...here's the photos...sorry shitty photos again as I only had the iPhone...




self-indulgent typesque moment


a plate for one of the prints being sold


my favourite out of the prints available for sale, unfortunately out of my price range at the moment...


No comments:

Post a Comment